Killeen Traffic Unit Conducts Railroad Detail
On Tuesday, September 24, 2019, the Killeen Police Department Traffic Unit assisted the BNSF Rail Road Police with enforcing Texas Transportation Code laws near the intersection of SH 195 and the railroad tracks.
During the hours of 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., the following violations occurred in the officer’s presence:
- 33 citations were issued for Stopping, Standing, or Parking Prohibited in Certain Places
- 3 citations were issued for Ran Red Light
- 2 citations were issued for Disregard Rail Road Signals
- 2 citations were issued for No Front License Plate
- 2 citations were issued for Fail to Maintain Financial Responsibility (no insurance)
- 2 citations were issued for Failed to Yield Right of Way – Emergency Vehicle
- 1 citation was issued for No Seatbelt
- 1 citation was issued for No Mud Flaps When Required
- 1 citation was issued for Illegal Tint on Front Windshield
- 1 citation was issued for Prohibited Lights to Front
- 1 citation was issued for Drove over Barricade
- 1 citation was issued for Obscured License Plate
A total of 50 citations were issued for various violations and 6 warning citations were issued for other miscellaneous violations.
Texas law requires motorists to stop no closer than 15 feet or farther than 50 feet from the nearest rail if; a clearly visible signal, a crossing gate or barrier is lowered, or flagger warns of the approach of a train. Motorists must also stop if the warning barriers are being lowered, are already down or are being opened, and must remain stopped until the barriers are fully opened.
We’d like to remind motorists to think about safety when they approach a railroad crossing. People should “LOOK, LISTEN and LIVE!”
Trespassing is being on railroad property or around train tracks without the railroads’ permission. Pedestrians should “STAY OFF, STAY AWAY and STAY ALIVE!”
Killeen Police Department