KPD Investigates Shooting on Dan Drive
Killeen Police investigate shooting on Dan Drive.
Officers responded to the 5700 block of Dan Drive, Tuesday, July 18, 2017, after receiving a 911 call at 11:41 a.m., about a shooting victim. Upon the officers’ arrival, they met with a 43 year-old male victim suffering from a gunshot wound and a 30 year-old female who was assaulted. The male victim was immediately transported to Baylor Scott & White Hospital in stable condition.
The officers were told that a female resident and the male suspect made an arrangement to meet through an online dating site. During the encounter, there was an altercation between the female and male suspect, when a second male that was inside the residence intervened and was shot by the male suspect. The suspect, a black male, fled in an unknown direction in an older model white sedan. The female victim was treated and released on scene.
The Criminal Investigation Division would like to remind the public about the dangers of meeting strangers for internet sales and online dating. Detectives have taken notice of recent incidents that have taken place after a victim has made arrangements to sell an item through various online marketplaces and agreed to meet the suspect in person. In addition to the online marketplaces, the danger extends to online dating and social sites that cater to prostitution and casual encounters.
The Department encourages the public to utilize our Safe Exchange Zone located in the lobby of the Police Headquarters at 3304 Community Blvd. when meeting for online sales.
A few tips regarding meeting strangers for sales and dating include:
- Trust your instincts. If it sounds too good to be true, it normally is.
- In the case of sales, don’t go alone.
- Insist on meeting at a public place such as the KPD Safe Exchange Zone.
- Do not meet in a secluded area.
- Do not invite strangers into your home, and do not go to theirs.
- Be cautious when buying/selling high value items.
- Perform the transaction during daylight hours.
- Tell a friend or family member about your intentions and where you will be.
- Take your mobile phone with you.
This warning is not necessarily directed at legitimate dating websites, although common sense and caution should always be exercised when meeting a stranger for the first time.
Killeen Police Department