Killeen Police Warn the Public about Meeting Strangers for Online Sales and Dating
For Immediate Release
July 14th, 2017
The Killeen Police Department wants the public to be aware of the dangers of meeting strangers for internet sales and online dating. The Criminal Investigation Division has taken notice of recent incidents that have taken place after a victim has made arrangements to sell an item through various online marketplaces and agreed to meet the suspect in person. In addition to the online marketplaces, the danger extends to online dating and social sites that cater to prostitution and casual encounters.
The Killeen Police Department encourages the public to utilize our Safe Exchange Zone located in the lobby of the Police Headquarters at 3304 Community Blvd. when meeting for online sales.
A few tips regarding meeting strangers for sales and dating include:
- Trust your instincts. If it sounds too good to be true, it normally is.
- In the case of sales, don’t go alone.
- Insist on meeting at a public place such as the KPD Safe Exchange Zone.
- Do not meet in a secluded area.
- Do not invite strangers into your home, and do not go to theirs.
- Be cautious when buying/selling high value items.
- Perform the transaction during daylight hours.
- Tell a friend or family member about your intentions and where you will be.
- Take your mobile phone with you.
This warning is not necessarily directed at legitimate dating websites, although common sense and caution should always be exercised when meeting a stranger for the first time.
Cdr. Alex Gearhart
Killeen Police Department